Increase My Disability Rating

Start your free consultation to get the benefits you deserve!

How Do I Increase My Disability Rating?

Are you a Veteran looking to get a higher VA disability rating on your claim? Well, the good news is that if your medical conditions have worsened, you have the right to request your rating be increased. As a Veteran, you have the right to fight for the benefits you deserve! You might be wondering, “How can I get an increase on my disability rating?”


In this article, we’ll tell you 3 tips for getting a higher VA disability rating


Before you file an increase for your disability, make sure you are prepared for both the best and worst-case scenarios when it comes to dealing with the VA. 


There are three actions you can take when requesting an increase in VA disability benefits. You can request compensation for a new disability, file for an increase based on that your previously rated condition has worsened, or you can appeal the current rating given to you by the VA.


Requesting Compensation for a New Disability 


This is generally done if you were already rated for a condition by the VA or filed before and were denied. 


For example, say you were previously rated for having a knee condition and are currently receiving benefits for it. But then you realize you are also having back problems that may be related to your time in the military — If this is the case, you would just have to file a new disability claim with the VA. 


Remember: you must have evidence to prove the condition is service-related. 


Filing for an Increase to an Existing Disability 


Has your service-connected disability worsened? Unfortunately, there may become a time when it does — You may start to experience more pain, new symptoms or find that your current disability is causing other issues as well. 


For this type of increase, you will go through the same process you did when you first filed your VA disability claim. Again, you will need to show medical evidence that your condition has worsened. 


We recommend making an appointment with a private doctor to examine the severity of your disabilities, as they are more understandable, and take your word as medical evidence. 


Appealing the VA’s Decision


If you feel you were not properly rated by the VA for your disabilities, you can file what’s called a “Notice of Disagreement” with the VA — otherwise known as an appeal. You can file for an appeal if you think either your rating is too low or you were denied your disability. 

Written by Advice for Veterans

Dedicated To helping fellow Veterans

Start your free consultation to get the benefits you deserve!

Share This Article!

More To Learn!

Increase My Disability Rating
We are not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with the U.S. military or the Department of Defense

Share This Article!

More To Learn!

Cope With PTSD

How Do I Cope With PTSD?

First, What is PTSD?   PTSD is one of the most common disabilities veterans suffer from post-service, and it affects